At the conclusion of this course, learners should be able to:
- Define important patient variables such as age in addition to tumor variables as determinants for the optimal selection of treatment in early breast cancer.
- Review the outcomes data for selection of treatment in older adults with early stage breast cancer.
- Discuss updates in the selection of surgical treatment for older patients with early stage breast cancer.
- Elucidate the role of age as a variable in omission of radiation therapy in patients with early breast cancer.
- Describe the physiology of pregnancy as it relates to breast cancer.
- Review management of reproductive age patients with breast cancer.
- Identify individuals with breast cancer who should be referred for genetic evaluation.
- Interpret the role of genetic testing in treatment selection.
- Explain palliative care needs in young patients with advanced breast cancer.
Discuss the advantages of early palliative care interventions in young patients with advanced breast cancer.