Goal of the course
The goal of this course is to introduce the principles of clinical research, including skills and knowledge on why and how to do research, how to build a good research environment, and where to find additional resources, tools, and reference packages to support a research project.
This course is targeted at individuals who want to learn or improve the skills for conducting clinical research and publishing results and also at those with a general interest in research and documentation of clinical cases.
At the end of this course, participants should be able to:
• Explain the importance of doing research and the link to evidence-based medicine;
• Apply the basic principles of literature search and critical appraisal;
• Follow GCP guidelines and adhere to ethical requirements, eg, informed consent;
• Identify a clinical problem, formulate a clinical research question, and select the study design;
• Collaborate with a statistician to perform sample size calculation and basic statistical analyses;
• Describe the principles of medical writing;
• Utilize available research environment, resources, and tools.